The Four Beauties
- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
Giclée art print on German made rice paper.
About the Artwork：
The Four Beauties, 2023. Chen Xiaoping. Ink on rice paper.
The Four Beauties are legendary figures in Chinese history, renowned for their unrivaled beauty and the stories that surround each of them. They have been celebrated in Chinese art, literature, and culture for centuries. Here's a brief introduction to each:
Xi Shi (西施)
- Beauty that sinks fish: It's said that when Xi Shi washed her face, the fish would be so struck by her beauty that they would forget to swim and sink.
- Time Period: Spring and Autumn period.
- Background: Xi Shi was used by the state of Yue to distract the king of the state of Wu, leading to the Wu's downfall.
Wang Zhaojun (王昭君)
- Beauty that entices birds to fall: Legend has it that birds in flight would fall from the sky, captivated by her beauty.
- Time Period: Western Han Dynasty.
- Background: Wang Zhaojun volunteered to marry a chieftain of the Xiongnu, a nomadic tribe, to keep peace between them and the Han Dynasty. Her sacrifice has been seen as a symbol of peace and a bridge between cultures.
Diao Chan (貂蝉)
- Beauty that shames the moon: It's said that the moon would hide itself in embarrassment when compared to her beauty.
- Time Period: Late Eastern Han/Three Kingdoms period.
- Background: Diao Chan is more mythical, with her primary story derived from the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms." She played a crucial role in the plot to bring down the tyrant Dong Zhuo by causing discord between him and his general, Lu Bu.
Yang Guifei (楊貴妃) or Imperial Consort Yang
- Beauty that makes flowers feel ashamed: Legend states that blossoming flowers would close up, feeling inferior in her presence.
- Time Period: Tang Dynasty.
- Background: Yang Guifei was the beloved consort of Emperor Xuanzong. Their passionate romance and her tragic end during the An Lushan Rebellion have made their story legendary in Chinese culture.
These four women, whether based on historical figures or purely legendary, have left an indelible mark on Chinese cultural heritage. Their stories touch on themes of love, sacrifice, intrigue, and the profound impact beauty can have on the course of events. As a set of paintings, each would depict the unique beauty and story of these iconic women.
About the Artist：
Chen Xiaoping stands out as a renowned artist, celebrated for her profound expertise in the realms of oil painting, traditional Chinese painting, and calligraphy. Twice she has been honored with the prestigious award for the "Most Outstanding Visual Artist" by the Governor of CNMI (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands). Furthermore, Chen has secured the gold prize on two occasions at the "NTD Global Realism Oil Painting Competition". Her solo exhibitions have been held multiple times, showcasing her deep mastery over her craft. Several of her remarkable pieces are now part of the permanent collection at the Saipan National Museum. Chen Xiaoping's works not only capture the essence of the subject but also reflect a harmonious blend of Eastern and Western artistry.
Made in USA
Museum-Quality Giclee Art Print
• Natural white, matte, acid and lignin-free archival rice paper.
Frame and Mounting
• Handcrafted solid wood frames: Made from premium solid wood , each frame is both durable and elegant, designed to perfectly accentuate the artwork.
•Double mats: Enhancing depth and significantly make the artwork pop, elevating its visual impact.
• Shatter resistant plexiglass (acrylic glass) front: Crystal clear acrylic glass offers superior clarity, protection against dust, and is shatter resistant.
•Ready-to-hang : Each frame comes ready-to-hang with pre-installed hanging nails and steel wire, making wall mounting much easier.
Shipping and Delivery
• Print only without frame: Ships within 7 days. Worldwide shipping.
• Hanging Scroll: Ships within 30 days. Worldwide shipping.
• Wood Framing: Ships within 14 days. Shipping within the United States only.For expedited shipping, please contact customer service.